Re: [F_MINOR] A State of Wanderer

Mocfujita@AOL.COM wrote:

>Glenn Gould decided to record his second Goldberg Variations in digital as an artist. He thought that it was the breakthrough. So,
>"A State of Wonder" is not a welcome addition to the GG
>discography. Glenn Gould would not have allowed to do such an absurd attempt. It should be eliminated.
>mocfujita

I agree with you if this analogue will be the only one available. As far
as I know, Gould only sactioned the digital version, and according to
the liner notes to "A State..." the analogue recording was only made in
case the newly tested digital recording equipment had failed. I think
it's hard even to someone deadset on disliking the 1981 digital version
to claim any such failure.

As far as issuing new versions with additional material -- be it live or
previously unreleased takes -- it wouldn't be working against Gould's
ideas on recordings. He often spoke of letting listeners choosing their
favourite takes of a work.

But then, we must be allowed to hear some of the outtakes of the 1981
version as well.

Regards,
Jorgen

Signoff instructions, and user preference interface:
http://email.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=f_minor&A=1

F_minor Website (with early archive):
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn