They all gotta be winners

Kate said:

>I too have met people who think that their own artistic efforts are
> devalued because they encounter someone who is more skilful, more
> successful, more  of a true artist.

This is especially meaningful to me this month.  The Kiwanis Music Festival
is running here for two weeks. Glenn Gould won top honours at the very first
Festival.  He was a child then.  I don't think he ever entered any of the
major piano competitions as a young adult.

I share his opinions on music competitions for several reasons.  One of
these can be summed up by the quote from Kate's letter.  Another reason
is -- music is subjective .  What appeals to one person does not to another.
A good example of this is Glenn Gould's interpretation of the Mozart
Sonatas.

Sadly, music education is going in the same direction as hockey games.  You
are a winner or a loser.  Making your instrument sing does not count for
much.

Anne Smith