Re: GG: How did you first learn of Glenn Gould?

Dear F-minoreans,

> When did you first hear *of* (or read about) Glenn Gould?

I read about Glenn Gould a number of occasion.  But the first time he
intrigued me was while I was researching on Stokowski, and I saw a
picture of the maestro and Gould sitting together in a profile manner.
That photo struck me because you could tell the significant age
difference between the two men.  Then after that photo, there was another
photo of just Gould himself on the concert stage, with his famous chair.
That was another interesting photo because the background was dimmed and
there was no audience (save for the photographer).  I became curious, so
I looked up the Univ. South Florida library catalogue and found that they
have a few LPs by Gould.  My first exposure to his playing was his
Beethoven Sonatas op. 10, in which my reaction can only be described as
SHOCK.  Not only with the playing, which could easily be mistaken for a
precise tickering machine just clinking away on the keys, but also the
humming that was so prominent in the recordings.  I do like the sonatas
though, and from there I began to research on Gould as well.

My mother at first, was not a greatly amused by Bach, which she
considered as exercise music.  I've always been fond of Bach since at an
early age, when my teacher would only allow me to play selections from
different Bach pieces.  She never realised the treasure she has in her
library (ie. Bach French Suites, Well-Tempered Klavier), scores that she
bought 20 years ago at a publishing store in Taiwan.  Only after
listening to Gould (and getting her exposed to music of Mahler and
Prokofiev and Bartok) did she realise that there's worlds beyond Mozart
and Haydn, and she finally is convinced that Bach's works are musical as
well.  So there goes another Gouldian contribution. :-)

Regards, Elisha

Strong conviction is necessary against prejudice.  The proof: Glenn
Gould. --Nathan Perleman

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.