RE: GG: How did you first learn of Glenn Gould?

Living in Canada, of course I learned about Glenn Gould via CBC Radio.  I am
not sure if I heard any of his broadcasts "live" (the solitude series, I'm
thinking about).  I could have, but I was probably tuned to rock radio
stations at that age...
Glenn has been fairly prominent in our Canadian media since the 60's, so I'm
sure he was always present one way or the other in my consciousness (and our
collective canadian sub-conscious).  There is that famous photograph of him
walking in a field with famous Canadians (including Mcluhan), which was
published in the late 60's (1967 maybe, for the Canadian Centennial?).  The
first LP I bought of his was the 2 and 3 part inventions.  It was a favorite
of mine for many years.  Later, I got the Goldbergs (obviously), and over
the years have collected several of his records on vinyl.
I vividly recall him debating the merits of recording vs live performance
with Yehudi Menuhin in Yehudi's Music of Man TV series (in part produced by
the CBC if I am not mistaken).
Living a few hours from Toronto (Ottawa), having driven through most of the
places that Glenn loved in Northern Ontario, I guess I feel a certain close
affinity to Glenn, as a lover also of the beauty and solitude of the
Canadian wilderness.
After he re-recorded the Goldbergs, and shortly after he died (I think if
was after, though the CBC _may_ have broadcast it before, I'm not sure now),
the CBC broadcast the video version of it, on a Sunday afternoon.  I have
not seen it since, but watching Glenn play those variations was a
tremendously moving experience for me.  The CBC showed it (again?) after he
died, as a tribute.  I recall watching it then, and when the last note faded
on the closing variation, I seem to recall that Glenn sort of put his head
down, almost in prayer, as if to say "I'm finished".  There will never be
another like him.

  --Robert

 Robert St-Louis -- Env.Assmt.Branch, Hull
  Tel 819-953-1524 -- Fax 819-953-4093
      Bonne journée -- Have a nice day!