Si! Hedonism! You hit the nail on the head!

Yes ... that could be very near the truth, Gould not liking the hedonistic aspects of Mozart. Certainly no one ever accused J.S. Bach of being hedonistic.

I would not exactly describe myself as a hedonist ... but I am very drawn to and very much enjoy the lushness, the richnesses -- the chocolates and the fine wines, the Vienna pastries and the lobsters -- in Mozart's life, personality and music. Sometimes just listening to some particularly lush, lurid passages of Mozart gives me the same feelings of pleasant wickedness and guilt as if I had sneaked out to some wild, forbidden party.

And although I enjoy Bach's music enormously, his austerity, his responsibility, his strict ideas of religion and behavior tend to put me off. It's easy to find Mozart music that is pure "fun" -- it's very hard to find any Bach that anyone could say, "Isn't this a lot of fun!"

Bob

madiva wrote:

Glenn Gould was not  a liar!

He don't like the hedonistic aspect of Mozart.

Nevertheless his Mozart is wonderful

Regards

Valeria Massari

madiva@working.it