Re: Canadian Psycho

Like Jacob, I've hesitated to get involved in this discussion too; and in any case I'm sure GG wasnt a psychopath.
I'm not in any way involved in treating psychiatric patients but I do have a friend who is a consultant psychiatrist (I lived with him a while, but I hope this does not engender any rude comments about my own mental state!)...we had several discussions about psychopaths as in his opinion a bloke I was briefly married to was one (shh, thats enough about your wierd background, Kate)...It appears someone with a psychopathic personality has great difficulty in understanding and accepting the reality of other peoples feelings. They are aware of their own feelings, which are "real" to them, but cannot comprehend that other peoples inner lives have the same reality.They therefore tend to act with great selfishness in their dealings with others...they will exploit them and lie to them to get their own way and have a total lack of conscience about causing hurt, as they cant feel or accept the pain of others and discount its reality.
They are not necessarily murderers and indeed can be very charming if they feel you can be of use to them, but boy...can they cause havoc!!
I dont feel Gould was at all like this!
I know GG found it difficult to relate to people (at least, face to face; he obviously enjoyed communicating by telephone) and is said to have had difficulty in "reading" other peoples feelings. But he is widely described by people that knew him as "kind', and "gentle" and "even-tempered": I believe the introduction to the "GG Reader" says he cared deeply about people, albeit from a distance. (I"m quoting this off the top of my head as I dont have my copy of the Reader with me, so sorry if I"m wrong). None of this sounds like a psychopathic personality. Nor does his concern for animals and their welfare suggest anything of the kind.
I think his problem dealing with people was a kind of phobia (although he'd probably object strenuously to this suggestion if he could see it!)...one person in a room with him: OK; Two: Well, if you must; three or more: Hmmm....
`````so much for my tuppence wor
Best wishes to all
Kate Clunies-Ross