Re: GG - 32-Short Films about Glenn Gould

I think it's well worth seeing too.
In fact, following the recent f-minor messages, I have just been watching it
again and I believe that the format used ( the 32 'glimpses') gives a better
impression of GG than a conventional chronological biography would. Only a
couple of minor quibbles however;-
I think possibly it gives you more to think about if you already know
something about GG. When I first saw it (admittedly incompletely, coming
across it by chance one late evening on TV) I knew practically nothing about
GG the man (although I admired the music) and therefore I was struck more by
his quirks than his art.
Also, although Colm Feore's performance is great (the voice and mannerisms)
to me - now that I have seen the real thing on video!- he doesnt look
physically like GG. I can understand why they made no attempt to portray him
actually playing the piano, but I think the film
paints a rather dour portrait...it doesnt bring out enough GGs humour, or
the joy and ecstasy of his music making - despite the scene showing him
conducting and almost dancing as he listens to the playback of his own
music. (I'm always struck by this quality of ecstasy...I'm thinking perhaps
of the expression of Gould's face as he plays the Beethoven bagatelle on the
"GGs Greatest Hits" video....and by the way, whoever decided on that title
for the video should be quietly taken out and shot!)
But "32 Short Films" does give a sense of the man, and of the wide scope of
his work apart from the piano. I certainly think it is a 'must' for anyone
even slightly interested in GG.
Best wishes
Kate Clunies-Ross
PS  -  re the "Voyager' sequence at the end of the film - Am I alone in
thinking this is  spooky? The idea of aliens listening to Gould playing Bach
not only long after his death, but perhaps long after the death of human
civilisation or the earth itself, sends shivers down my spine.What would
they make of the art we call "music", ... or indeed, of that gloriously
human humming?                            Kate