GG -ecstasy

Kate wrote:
<snip>
by 'ecstasy I mean the marvellous experience of standing
>> 'outside' yourself and your normal everyday consciousness, which can be
>> induced by emotion, art, love...you name it, whatever has the deepest
>> importance to you. "Standing outside" is, I suppose, the original meaning
>>of  the word ecstasy

My dictionary says:
"deep emotion; especially rapturous joy."

Whether you take my definition or yours,  this is probably part of the
reason
that GG decided to leave the concert stage.  Even Glenn Gould suffered from
stage fright.  It is very hard (impossible) to get into the 'ecstasy' frame
of mind when you are worried about your fingers or mind freezing in front of
a thousand people. Much easier to obtain 'ecstasy'  when you can let just
yourself go.  While
recording your soul can
soar while your fingers are doing their thing.  There is always
"take two" to fall back on.

Music allowed Glenn Gould to experience rapturous joy and also to step out
of himself.  His recordings help us do the same.

Anne Smith