Re: GG - 32 Short Films - Ecstasy

In a message dated 5/13/00 9:13:25 AM Mountain Daylight Time, amarble@SFF.NET
writes:

<< I think I've "brushed against" this feeling while writing novels. Creating
 something can make the creator feel wonderful, in indescribable (well,
 almost) ways. Also, the idea of "standing outside" happens to all writers,
 I think. This may be tied in to the feeling novelists get when they
 suddenly feel as if their characters are "telling" them what to do next.
 (That's a sign that you've created good characters. So you should generally
 follow the lead of the characters, even if you have to rewrite six
 <censored> chapters. <g>)

 While in the middle of writing a story, if it was going really well, I
 would suddenly get the feeling I get when reading a novel I like. I might
 even think, "Gee, I wonder how this turns out!" Then, I realize ... oh,
 that's
 right, I'm the writer. :-> It's a scary feeling, and yes, maybe a little
 embarrassing.

 Also, sometimes when I get an idea that makes a plot work out just right, I
 get this wonderful feeling. (It usually lasts until I realize the idea
 won't work. <sigh>)>>

Hope you don't mind if I ramble along with you. If I start talking about
 writing, look out...

 Anyway, I'm sure he's seen more embarrassing things written about him. Not
 just on F-Minor, either.

Maybe the estate should put out an anthology of writings inspired by Glenn
 Gould... They could even publish it as an e-book to cut down on expenses.
 (Can you tell I've been researching an article about writing opportunities
 on the Internet lately?)

Hi Anne and other Gouldians,

I think that all creative people, regardless of what they create, have had
that feeling of ecstasy. I know what you mean about re-writing, Anne. Though
I'm not a writer (sounds like a lot of fun, though) I do a lot of
transcriptions of classical music, most from piano to classical guitar. Right
now I'm working on the Italian Concerto and have re-done the second movement
several times. Musicicologists would call it a "reduction"; in actuality it
means throwing out some of JSBs' notes. Hard to do without a feeling of his
spirit (I do believe in an afterlife) glaring over my shoulder! But when I
get it right and am playing it I'm totally lost, unfocused, ecstatic.
It even happens when I'm doing glasswork (making handmade beads with an
oxy/propane torch). Not as much, though as with music. The glasswork buys
guitar strings and puts tofu on the table <G>!

Is any of your writing avaible to the public? I'd like to read it. When I
read fiction, my favorite genres are science fiction and fantasy. Right now
I'm reading the "Icelandic Sagas" - some of them read like adventure/fantasy,
straight out of a Wagnerian opera!

Some musicians are selling thier CDs' strictly through the internet; why not
writers?

Since I believe in an afterlife, I'm sure that GG has read some of the things
on f-minor....I know that sounds strange, but I've never been accused of
normalcy! <G>

Sorry for rambling on, but I'm up way too early....time to go get some more
sleep!

Evalynne
http://www.beadsuncommon.com