GG: Tuning (happy vs sad keys/chords)

This thread has me thinking a great deal about something I have always
wondered (in very much of a layperson way, as I am not a musical academic in
any way).  What makes a piece "happy" and what makes another "sad"?  Is
there something intrinsic in the music that connotates human emotions?
Certainly, some aspects of tempo, key, note sequences (falling or rising)
can be used to provide a distinct "feel" to the piece, but how is
association to emotion accomplished?  As has been said, the use of minor
keys is easily associated to sadder, nostalgic, somber moods, but how does
that happen?  When someone speaks and is sad, we can often tell from the way
he/she speaks, the inflection of the voice, the sentences ending in a
falling tone, lesser intensity of voice, etc.  And the opposite also being
true: someone happy usually having more liveliness in the voice, sentences
ending on an upbeat tone, etc.  Are some of these "human voice"
characteristics for sad/happy moods transferable to instruments, thereby
producing the sad/happy pieces?  How does this translation occur, is it done
consciously or unconsciously, are there principles that are used (no doubt
composers of the past had "formulas" that they would use to come up with
pieces that would match the mood of an occasion - a wedding, a funeral,
etc.).
[One thought I had is that perhaps this is socially transmitted: ie. the
same way that as a child we are told that "this is a tree", "the sky is
blue", etc., perhaps we grow up hearing music associated with images
(especially in our multimedia age), and having the images (and the emotions
they convey in us) convey a related mood to the accompanying music.  The
rock videos really prey on this: having often-banal, totally uninteresting
material (music and lyric wise) associated in our minds with vivid,
attractive or otherwise impressive visual stimulation.  I could think also
of the music used in Kubrick's 2001, or other great films that have lent a
different "feel" to our sensations when we later hear the music in another
context (I guess Gould played with this in some of his film soundtrack
work).]
A fascinating subject, that has no doubt been discussed by many academics
during the ages.  Interesting to think about...
  --Robert

 Robert St-Louis -- Env.Assmt.Branch, Hull
  Tel 819-953-1524 -- Fax 819-953-4093
      Bonne journée -- Have a nice day!