Re: GG: Tuning (happy vs sad keys/chords)

At 11:50 AM 5/17/2000 -0400, St-Louis,Robert [NCR] wrote:
This thread has me thinking a great deal about something I have always
wondered (in very much of a layperson way, as I am not a musical academic in
any way).  What makes a piece "happy" and what makes another "sad"?  Is
there something intrinsic in the music that connotates human emotions?
Certainly, some aspects of tempo, key, note sequences (falling or rising)
can be used to provide a distinct "feel" to the piece, but how is
association to emotion accomplished?  As has been said, the use of minor
keys is easily associated to sadder, nostalgic, somber moods, but how does
that happen?  When someone speaks and is sad, we can often tell from the way
he/she speaks, the inflection of the voice, the sentences ending in a
falling tone, lesser intensity of voice, etc.  And the opposite also being
true: someone happy usually having more liveliness in the voice, sentences
ending on an upbeat tone, etc.  Are some of these "human voice"
characteristics for sad/happy moods transferable to instruments, thereby
producing the sad/happy pieces?  How does this translation occur, is it done
consciously or unconsciously, are there principles that are used (no doubt
composers of the past had "formulas" that they would use to come up with
pieces that would match the mood of an occasion - a wedding, a funeral,
etc.).  (...) A fascinating subject, that has no doubt been discussed by
many academics
during the ages.  Interesting to think about...

Yes, you're asking about the "Doctrine of Affections" which was one of the fundaments of Baroque music. There were specific musical gestures for all sorts of things, and it was sometimes also tied in principle to classical (Greek) rhetoric. It was an objective science. Speakers, composers, and performers studied the *craft* of how to move people with gestures and form. Music was a language full of specific meanings and associations, pretty much like speech. You'll find some pretty good introductions here: http://www.google.com/search?q=doctrine+affections (plus of course in music dictionaries and encyclopedias).

And if you can find a copy of Nikolaus Harnoncourt's book _Baroque Music
Today: Music as Speech_, that's a fascinating one to read on this
topic.  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0931340918

His book _The Musical Dialogue: Thoughts on Monteverdi, Bach, and Mozart_
is also good.  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1574670239

Bradley Lehman Dayton VA http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl