Re: Re : GG:Venting time

>So Glenn Gould loved privacy so much that he would object
>to what we (and others) are doing....would he?
>Nonsense (in my opinion, anyway). For heavens sake, this
>is the man who expressed sadness because he thought nobody
>would come to his funeral!!

Exactly. I can't imagine him saying, "You mean more than
3,000 people showed up? Oh, how terrible! I hate crowds."
No, he would have been pleased that people thought that
much of him.

In fact, I can imagine Glenn Gould doing a net search and
saying, "Look, Jessie! 9,127 hits on my name in Google!"

Sometimes, I think that people get a limited view of GG.
They see "32 Short Films" or perhaps a documentary. But
those things, though great, often leave out important
things about him -- such as the rather silly (and yes,
I mean that as a compliment) sense of humor.

>To GG, the listener was everything...he would have been
>delighted that we find him and his music such a source of
>interest.Didnt he think every listener should have the
>ability to 'create' his own programme to suit his
>tastes?

How many musicians (classical or otherwise) would have the
guts (or perhaps it's trust?0 to do such a thing? At the
Gathering (you know, that Hollywood style gala <g>), Kevin
Bazzana (sp?) made a joke about how Roslyn Tureck would
react to the concept of letting the listener select the
takes they preferred. Her reaction would be, "_NO_."

>Didnt he take the trouble to express his own ideas with
>exceptional clarity in his writing? ..which argues that he
>was more than happy to offer his thoughts to others for
>discussion.

He wouldn't have gone to that trouble if he didn't want to
be remembered.

>As for his 'private' life, well, do we really know so much
>about it that we can discuss it in such shocking detail?

Definitely not!

>Emails (etc) are as good as the telephone for
>communicating, and we all know how he felt about *that*.
>In fact, in some ways they are better because they
>offer a kind of 'take-two-ness, in that if you make an
>error you can correct it before you click on 'send'!

Great for a writer ("novelist in training") such as myself.
I don't have to worry about editing out all the "uhms" and
"uhs," and Glenn Gould often had to do while making his
radio documentaries.

>In fact (wishful fantasy on my part!) if GG was still with
>us, I think he'd join in. Somewhat shyly, maybe....and
>under a pseudonym, of course!

His only complaint might be that Yahoo and Hotmail addresses
are limited because they are too short. There wouldn't be
enough spaces for a classic name such as "Karlheinz Kloppweiser."

Anne M. Marble