Ketchup and Fisch-gau

Dear All,

I never did manage to find out about teh Tomato Ketchup. I know there's a
lingering shot of the ketchup bottle that closes the 32 short films sequence
in the cafe. I also heard a rumour that when Gould died there were loads of
ketchup bottles in his room.
Does anyone know the truth?

Also, the dear old BBC (or not, depending on your viewpoint) are making
another theme night to follow the one on Gould last year, on Dietrich
Fischer-Dieskau. The comparisons are interesting: both had inperious
technique of course, but it's the interpretation htat people remember
(unlike Pavarotti, Janowitz, Horowitz, Kissin, for instance). Both were also
obsessive recording artists, viewing the recording as a photogtraph of a
particular interpretation rather than a final, polished thought. Both were
technologists: the German singer spent years with the DG tonmeister Klaus
Hiemann perfecting the microphone set up for himself and it remains a
recorded sound unique to F-D.

And yet they are such different men - I need only say that F-D's house is
immaculate, his dress and demeanor a picture of the final product of
western-European civilisation (and American, of course!!!!). The bookshelves
are lined with philosophers and novelists and the paintings on the wall are
famous - and genuine!

I ought to have a question for the list here (Anne-M would be pleased I
think. I don't really, it's just an observation - but I'll have a go:
Could Gould have made the music he did living like Dieskau, and could the
reverse have taken place?

Have a good day all of you,

Martin

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or disclose the information in any way, and notify me immediately. The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC, unless specifically stated.