GG: re Another article about that damned syndrome

Anne wrote:

Someone who knows I like GG sent me this link:>http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/reuters20000607_2294.html

The many doubters on this list will be happy to know that it includes
the>opposing viewpoint as well. As often occurs, Helen Mesaros is called
upon>to provide her own (opposing) viewpoint. While I don't agree with much
of>what she says, she does make an important nd valid point. Let's not
forget>that much of GG's behavior came about because of the effect of
his>childhood!>...
I'm also sick of the concept of "blaming" anybody or an
ything because>somebody lives his life in a different way. Creative people
-- scientists>and well as artists -- are supposed to be different. They see
the world in>a different way. And theu don't always have the time,
inclination, or need>to interact in so-called normal ways.
_________________________

Well, I can appreciate that many of us feel a need to understand (and
discuss!) the man himself...not just to discuss his art. (I may write more
about that later!) But why does it seem that so many people feel a need to
"label" GG - as though that explains something?

'Aspergers syndrome' covers a multitude of  problems. Also,it is a condition
with a wide range of effects, starting with the barely affected to people
who are so severely troubled that they are frankly autistic. When I first
began to learn about GG I have to admit I thought about Aspergers, but when
I discovered more about him I changed my mind.(Not that I am an expert, I
hasten to add). His ability to communicate his ideas so clearly, the evident
emotion he displays when playing (see the thread about ecstasy) , his
somewhat odd but likeable sense of humour, the love of animals...All these
seem to contradict the impression of Aspergers syndrome I have gained both
from reading (and also from discussions with a friend who has a severely
autistic child).
In any case, nobody has come up with a satisfactory explanation of what
causes Aspergers, or what is truly "going  on" in the mind and emotions of
such a sufferer. So if we tell ourselves "Yeah, Glenn Gould had Aspergers
syndrome and that explains his behaviour" we have, in fact, explained
precisely... nothing. (Thats my main objection to this idea.)

Yes, GG was unusual in many ways. And how glad I am he was! Would a 'normal'
man have given us that glorious music? But - and I risk demonstrating
something a bit odd perhaps about myself! - I dont find him really eccentric
at all. I think I may have mentioned this before.
Hed did however find a way of life that suited him. Since he lived alone,
that was fine. I dont think his life was so tragic or painful  asTimothy
Maloney"s article suggests, anyway.

But then, society does seem to have a fear of "loners"...

Many other famous and unusual people have had unusual lifestyles without
being considered to have strange medical conditions. Think for a moment of
someone like T. E. Lawrence: another loner, didnt like being touched or even
shaking hands, intense, odd lifestyle in his Dorset cottage (books, music,
no cooking)...he too tried to 'drop out' of public life and abandon his fame
by adopting a pseudonym and joining the lowest ranks of the RAF. Even his
emotional troubles too may have stemmed from his strange and intense
relationship with his mother. He also has been analysed to death in the vast
number of books written since hise early death. But nobody has tried to
suggest a "neat" solution that covers everthing, like suggesting Aspergers
or autism (At least, I dont think they have!)
Also: some people seem to use medical diagnoses as if they involve a moral
judgement; they are disapproving of people who are different, as if it
outrages their concept of the "right" way to live.
If society rejects 'loners', and the so-called 'anti-social,' that,
possibly, may be its loss.
Glenn Gould is too complex to fit into any neat category. I for one am just
eternally grateful and happy that he existed.

Best wishes to all

Kate