[F_minor] Gould on UbuWeb

Hi there,

The avant garde archive UbuWeb hosts some free Glenn Gould CBC productions, including a two-part series on the future of recording:
http://ubu.com/sound/gould.html

I've only listened to one of the pieces so far -- a whimsical radio essay on the role of competition in music, told through faux interviews with a boxer, a literary critic, a psychologist, and a tobogganist from the NWT.

The format is a pretty familiar conceit for anyone familiar with his CBC stuff. So far the spoken word stuff I've most enjoyed is his tribute to Pablo Casals and his "Solitude" trilogy. I especially would commend the latter to anyone who hasn't heard it -- it's a captrivating word-and-idea fugue à la Joe Frank.

Off topic: UbuWeb's entire MP3 archive is outstanding ... everything from Jacques Derrida on religion to Alvin Lucier's "I Am Sitting in a Room".
http://ubu.com/sound/

I'm pretty new to this list, so I apologize in advance if this has gone around before.

best,
Barnaby Thieme

More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly. -- Woody Allen

Hotmail® goes with you. Get it on your BlackBerry or iPhone.