Re: GG:AOF and other Bach recordings

>GG recorded the _Art of the Fugue_ on the organ right after those unlucky
>movers smashed his Steinway straight out of customs.  It was being repaired
>(rebuilt is more like it) so to make the best of the situation, he
>went to the organ.  Once the Steinway was back in action, he then he
>recorded _The French Suites_ which he says he played so slowly because
>the piano had brand new strings and had to be played slowly for clarity...
>(see Kazdin and Cott for details-- I'm at work and unable to fact check)

        I thought that it was the recording of Handel's harpsichord suites
that followed the damage to Gould's  Steinway.  The organ recording, if I
recall correctly, was done in the early 1960's.
        At one time (about 2 years ago), Sony had listed in their catalogue
plans for a future release in the Glenn Gould Edition of a disc containing
The Art of the Fugue.  This was to contain the earlier recording on organ,
along with some of the other sections (taken presumably from radio,
television, and film performances) played on piano.  Was this disc ever
released?

        Along the same line, in the appendix of the Friederich (sp?)
biography is listed a series of recordings, all done in the 2 or 3 years
before Gould's death, of works by Bach.  This includes the Fugue on a theme
by Albinoni, the Concerto after Marcello, the Chromatic Fantasy, and a
re-recording of the Italian Concerto.  In the recorded interview with Tim
Page, Gould speaks of having recorded the Marcello concerto.  Why were
these recordings never released?  I would think that a disc containing
these recordings would be extremely popular.  Does anybody know the story
behind these unreleased Bach recordings?

Scott Henderson, Ph.D.
Director of Microscopy,
Mount Sinai School of Medicine,
Department of Cell Biology & Anatomy,