Re: GG:AOF

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Mary Jo Watts wrote:

> GG recorded the _Art of the Fugue_ on the organ right after those unlucky
> movers smashed his Steinway straight out of customs.  It was being repaired
> (rebuilt is more like it) so to make the best of the situation, he
> went to the organ.  Once the Steinway was back in action, he then he
> recorded _The French Suites_ which he says he played so slowly because
> the piano had brand new strings and had to be played slowly for clarity...
> (see Kazdin and Cott for details-- I'm at work and unable to fact check)
>
> When he recorded the 1,4, and the 15th contrapunctus for
> Monsaingeon's _Glenn Gould Plays Bach_ M. said that he had great
> anxiety about playing the 15th-- that there were so many ways to do it
> and he wanted it to be good. The piece intimidated him (!)  He says in
> the programme that no other piece moved him so deeply (at that stage
> in his life-- I'll have to look and see what year he did that
> particular set-- if it was close to his death that would be too creepy!)
>
> -Mary Jo

According to the Sony video, the set was shot in Toronto during Nov
20-25, 1980.  Gould plays these contrapuncti magnificently and he
appears to be very moved by them.  It is sort of creepy to see him play
the final uncompleted fugue.  When the piece abruptly ends and the screen
turns brownish, like an old photograph...I can't help but feel sad.

Gerald