Re: GG: Harpsichord Playing

Hello all!

On 24 Apr 1996 PHILIP.GARON@hq.doe.gov wrote:

>      John Mansfield wrote:
>
>      > There is a commercial recording of GG doing four of the Handel
>      > harpsichord suites.  I am not very fond of it, but then-I am
>      > not very fond of the harpsichord.
>
>      Wasn't it Sir Thomas Beecham who said that the sound of the
>      harpsichord reminded him of two skeletons copulating on a tin
>      roof?

Well, sounds like he didn't hear the harpsicord being played very well!
The harpsicord is a very beautiful, delicate instrument, but it seems to
be very difficult to play it well.  I've done quite a bit of listening to
harpsicord performances recently and the majority of them aren't very
good - slow, labourous, BORING!  But there was one artist that I really
enjoyed called Igor Kipnis.  His playing is full of fire and verve.  I
heard several of his recordings on LP and I don't know if they're out on
CD.  If you can get a hold of some of his recordings, try him out!  In
particular, his performance of the Sinfonia from the C minor partita is
excellent.

Christy