Re: Some GG Questions

In message <840399144.22406.0@ukiah.demon.co.uk>, Alun Severn
<alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk> writes
>Dear Everyone,
>
>I have a few questions that I suspect list members will be able to answer.
>
>        1.      I have never seen any recordings of GG playing
>               Scarlatti. Did he? If not, why not?

There's a couple of sonatas on the GG Silver Jubilee Album included
amongst the ones he recorded:

Scarlatti       Sonata in D major       L 463   30.1.68 30.1.68 NYC /
30th Street & Toronto / Eaton Auditorium

Scarlatti       Sonata in D major       L 465   30.1.68 30.1.68 NYC /
30th Street

Scarlatti       Sonata in D major       L 463   8.2.68  8.2.68  Toronto

Scarlatti       Sonata in D minor       L 413   30.1.68 30.1.68 NYC /
30th Street & Toronto / Eaton Auditorium

Scarlatti       Sonata in F minor       L 475   1.1.50  1.1.50  Toronto

Scarlatti       Sonata in G major       L 486   30.1.68 30.1.68 NYC /
30th Street & Toronto / Eaton Auditorium

Scarlatti       Sonata in G major       L 486   8.2.68  8.2.68  Toronto

>        2.      Bach Sonatas for Violin & Harpsichord (BWV
>                1014 - 1019) and for Viola da gamba and
>                Harpsichord (BWV 1027 - 1029) are on Sony.
>                I have read that GG only recorded these to
>                fulfil a contract and that the recording reflects
>                this. What is the performance like?

I think he did these quite happlily - reports of the session sugest they
were quite jolly affairs. if there was any obligation on his part it was
to complete his survey of Bach's works with keyboard (not including
cantatas etc ...!)

>        3.      Amongst the first Bach I heard played by GG were
>                the Preludes and Fughettas and the Nine Little
>                Preludes -- the miniatures now collected
>                together on Sony CB792 (at least in the 2 disc
>                version I have). GG returned to these a few years
>                before his death and they do seem to be a distillation
>                of his art. Does anyone think that GG had a particular
>                feeling for these miniatures and thought that
>                he had previously not done them justice?

As far as I know GG minted these pieces in the late 70s. I don't recall
any earlier recordings. IMHO the original LP /CD performances loving
performances in GG late Bach style - uncomplicated and articulated
without the detachment of the seventies. I can't imagine any other
artist investing such care and joi de vivre in these works. Certainly
makes an amateur like me repsect GG all the more for revealing insights
in such seemingly simple works.
Neil Tingley                   Furtwaengler FAQ from r.m.c.r contributers at:
neil@music.demon.co.uk         http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/music/ & links to
London, UK                     G.H Gould and others "more about me" menu.