difference between sound & no sound

Probably not many fminors indulge in wild flings with stacks of free
jazz records, but I had a few 3 a.m. thoughts recently concerning a
Yehudi Menhuin comment you'll likely find familiar.  To be specific, the
'impromptu' theory (documented on Sony's video series #4, I think) that
12 tone music has so much pointillism in order to give contrast between
sound & no sound (where contrast between consonance and dissonance is no
longer possible).  I'd agree that Lord Yehudi's statements hold some
water, but I can think of at least a couple large ensemble experimental
jazz records where harmonic traditions are absent, plenty of contrast is
present, and yet there's not a pause to be found anywhere for eighty
minutes.  Not sure whether I could come up with any composed (as opposed
to improvised) music that could provide a similar counterexample.  Any
takers?  Rebuttal?  Thanks for your time.

--
-hockey@twistedvillage.com

Twisted Village Records
12B Eliot Street