GG: Burlington By-pass (summary)

Dear f_minors,

Four members gave me comments on the following
quotations directly:

>In the letter to David Rossiter at the branch of CBS in UK,
>dated June 26, 1975 (English edition, p.221ff):
>
>>What can I tell you about Hamilton today?  Well, lacking your
>>present age, I can't be sure how long you've been away
>>but it's a fair gamble that you've missed the thrill of taking
>>the Burlington by-pass minus the toll-gates which were
>>removed a few years ago. . . .

1. "The Burlington by-pass" refers to the four-lane skyway
named The Burlington Bay Skyway which was built in 1958
to substitute the two-lane lift bridge over the ship canal on
the Burlington beach strip.

2. The skyway was built to eliminate the traffic jams but
required paying of a toll.

3. Eventually, the skyway became toll-free a few years
before 1975.

4. The skyway was twinned in 1985 and given a new name
"James N. Allen Burlington Bay Skyway".

5. The skyway is on the highway named Queen Elizabeth Highway
(QEW) which connects Toronto and Niagara Falls area.

This is the site on Burlington Bay Skyway:

http://members.aol.com/hwys/OntHwys/OntHwysQEWHist2.html

If my understanding is not correct nor satisfactory,
do let me know.

Regards,

Junichi