Re: The Solitude Trilogy

Anne wrote:
Yet I've found that I
> can listen to some types of TV while I'm writing or editing -- in fact,
> I often need the white noise to drown out all the other distractions.
> (How Gouldian!)

I recognize that! I live near a road and the continuous sound of cars has a kind of hypnotizing effect on me. If I am working at the computer I get hyper-concentrated and do a lot of work in no-time. It's the same thing with the sound of a brook....or the continuous flood of 16th notes in certain Bach compositions.

I have often thought about this phenomenon and I have still not found an answer to it. A weak explanation could be that the continous sound of 'everthing' brings us into 'higher spheres', you could compare it to the Buddists, mumming 'Ohmmmmm' during there meditation, it connects them to whatever-they-call-it. Perhaps a psychologist on the list can give us an(other) explanation?

However, it's an interesting topic, since Gould played certain passages all in exact rithm, very fast and without changings in dynamics. The fact that Anne wrote, that from now on she will leave the vacuumcleaner on while working on the computer, ánd the fact that she likes Gould's playing, might not be two different things.....

Regards,

Teun