Re: GG: tape manipulation and contrapuntal sounds

On Tue, 18 May 1999 11:16:59 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

>here's a major thought question:  how much of an influence did Gould have
>on today's sampling/found sound composers, such as Negativland or DJ's
>like DJ Spooky or DJ Shadow....it would have been interesting if Gould had
>lived long enough to get involved in sampling...the idea of making music
>without music (I imagine) probably would have appealed to him.

Argh !! A great question...

I don't know the work of DJ Shadow but his name rings a bell....

I contend that Gould's recording of the 2/3 part inventions was the first ever
MIX put on LP. Its pure DJing, releasing each individual "track" in a carefully
graded sequence.

Somewhere in the archives I tried to describe roughly what the Art of Djing
involves.

Neil
Neil
ICQ  11875525 - AOL IM "imheifetz"