Re: an obscure Gould quote

From: Elmer Elevator <bobmer@javanet.com>
To: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu <f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 6:49 PM
Subject: an obscure Gould quote

>Gould commented that the Welte rolls are
>
>"... both enormously rewarding and deeply disturbing ... because many
of
>these performances are hard to reconcile with the architectural
notions
>which our own generation prize most highly ... one is made deeply
aware
>of the transitory nature of interpretative ideals, and one is even
led
>to ask fundamental questions about the nature of stylistic concept as
>viewed by the performer."

It sure sounds like one of his quotes. :->

The local classical music "game show" played piano roll music in an
attempt to fool its panelists. (This is a show where the host plays
music without giving the name of the musician or orchestra, and then
asks for comments.) It was neat to hear Rachmaninoff without the
distortions. Although it was even more fascinating to hear the
panelists talk about music. Sometimes, they sound as if they're
talking about expensive wine. ("That was a full-bodied performance,
but I'm afraid that the strings were a little acidic.")

It was 102 degrees in central Maryland today. Not as bad as Death
Valley, California -- but bad enough. And humid to boot. It made me
glad that I wasn't wearing a winter coat, scarf, gloves, galoshes, and
wool hat.