GG: Driving

From: Paul Johnson <pauljohnson@mountsett.freeserve.co.uk>

>>btw; why is it so that geniuses always are so bad at driving?
>
>well, i have just failed my second driving test so i must be a
genius. does
>anyone know why, on a driving test, your brain stops functioning and
says
>"go on, just do stupid things that you would never normally do to
show this
>man how bad a driver you are"?

I don't know why driving tests do this -- but I do know that <insert
booming voice here> you are not alone. I wouldn't admit this to just
anyone -- only the 300 or so people on this list. But it took me four
attempts to pass the test. All along, I was blaming it on nerves, the
mediocre teacher I started out with, the obnoxious woman wo gave me
the test the third time... All along, I was a genius. :-> The day I
passed was surreal. It was Christmas Eve, and there was a Santa Claus
in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles! He probably thought I was
nuts when I thanked him for the new license he was giving me for
Christmas!

I remember reading that when GG was young, he accidentally drove his
father's car into a lake. Does anybody remember if this was in
Friederich or in another book? Does anybody know *how* on earth he did
that? Whatever happened, he was probably driving with the radio
playing. (I know the Friederich book mentioned an incident involving a
symphony, GG conducting as he drove, and a reckless driving charge,
and GG had to go to court for that one... Talk about surreal!)

Also, does anybody know what happened to his cars? Were any of them
"exhibited" the way the cars of famous people are sometimes displayed
at museums? (I saw Woodrow Wilson's car at the musuem located at his
birthplace.)