Re: GG: Die Kunst der Fuge (revisited)

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:00:40 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>If you're looking for a piano version, my personal overall favorite of
>all the complete versions is Evgeny Koriolov, he being somewhat Gould-li

You should hear Grigory Sokolov on Op 111. He plays in a Gouldian Bach style,
meaning not too much pedal, very clean counterpoint and imaginative phrasing on
individual voices within fugues.

Sokolov's is a deeply meditative performance which keeps you gripped from start
to finish. Most other piano performers bore me to death in this work.

I'd add that there's little doubt that Sokolov is one of the finest players in
the world today. If one set standards by London piano recitals then he's the
finest pianist I've heard in 3 years here, with Steven Kovacevich (hear his
Bach, wow !) and Zimmerman up there too...and not forgetting the mildly maverick
Lifschitz (heard his Bach ??)

See more about Sokolov at www.thump.org/sokolov/

Neil
Neil