GG: Improving Your Perceptions through Glenn Gould

Does anybody else feel as if their sense of hearing has improved ever
since they started listening to Glenn Gould? While I'm not saying that
my hearing itself has improved, I believe that I have become a better
listener.

I guess it started because I knew he was supposed to have hummed on
his recordings, but at first, I couldn't hear the humming. (It didn't
help that I was listening to his CDs on a computer with tiny speakers
or on a stereo at the other end of the room.)

I remember when I first heard the humming. It was on a Beethoven
sonata, and I made my mother come over and listen. Then, I started to
pick out the sounds. Shortly after that, I played the 1981 Goldbergs
and was *stunned* at the amount of humming. How had I missed all that
before? (While listening to it in the past, I used to blame the guy in
the apartment above me for some of the funny noises I heard. I guess I
thought he was sitting in a squeaky chair and moaning out loud...)

I didn't think I could get used to it after that. But as you might
guess, I did. :-> And boy, am I glad. Listening to the humming made it
easier for me to "latch on to" the other, more important, sounds.
(It's also a great way to test the sensitivity of audio equipment!)

Yes, there's more than humming to be heard. And my new-found
perception of sound could now pick up aspects of the songs that I had
never heard before. (You know, those things called notes. :->)
Listening for the humming gave me the skills to detect the other
things.

Of course, this new perception can get in the way when I try to go to
sleep, and I can hear all those annoying noises around me. The walls
creaking, plastic bags crinkling, the guy in the apartment above me
sitting in a squeaky chair and making funny noises, etc. My next
apartment will have thicker walls!