Re: Goldbergs -- just a pop song?

Greetings fellow f-minors,

	As odd a blurb as that might sound,  I have understood that to be
true for several years.  I had first heard it in several piano literature
courses as an undergrad and later in a graduate course dedicated
strictly to Bach.  The only instance that I know of specifically is the
last variation,  titled  "Quodlibet." This small genre is according to
Grove's dictionary a short piece combining several popular tunes either in
succession or simultaneously, (of course, Bach brilliantly superimposes
the themes.)
	As for the names of the tunes in the last variation,  I don't
remember,  exactly.  I beleive one is a love song of sorts,  and another
has to do with vegatables as a topic - (these two are rough memories,  so
better re-check them!  ;)

	While it may seem anticlimactic of Bach to place a genre usually
reserved for technical display or just humor at the end of one of western
music's monuments,  one should be aware of two things that put this
qoudlibet in a different light:
	1) Bach had not only the supreme compositional thechnique of his
era, but also a thorough knowledge of music before his time,  and
	 2) in the Rennaissance,  the notion of juxtaposing pre-existing
music, (as in the quodlibet,) was regarded as highest mastery of music.

Check out Groves for more info,  you might get a different lead as to
finding out exactly what the the tunes are,  and what Bach was really
thinking when he concluded the "'bergs" with this.  :)

			-Brian