RE: Humming, DSP & musical reductionism

This message is off the subject of GG, but on the subject of transfers to
digital format, and I can't resist the chance to pick the brains of Mr. Hill
and other sound engineers and similar experts in the "collective."

I have begun to acquire some CDs on labels such as Pearl (Edwin Fischer's
recording of WTC), Dutton Labs (Beecham's recordings of Mozart symphonies)
and Arkadia (an Italian label-- I just purchased Cortot's recording of the
Chopin etudes) -- all of these are transfers from 78s. The Dutton and
Arkadia recordings are remarkably free of surface distortion; they have a
kind of unearthly purity which almost sounds real, but not quite. There also
seems to be excessive treble on the Arkadia recordings. On the other hand,
the Pearls have more surface noise, but sound less artificially treated; it
seems like I am getting a performance (under all the noise) that is truer to
the original, but then again the sound is sometimes so muddy that it is
difficult to make out the original. Are my perceptions true to what you know
about the processes used by these various labels? What transfers do you
recommend?   Does the process of "cleaning" and "restoration" yield a
product which may be more pleasing to the ear, but is not worth the
sacrifice, in that the end result is virtually a different performance? Or,
are there sonic modifications typically introduced by the restoration
process for which, once I know about them, I can make adjustments  when I
listen, so as to filter them out?

Incidentally -- what is your opinion of Sony's transfers of GG's recordings
from analog to digital format? I recently read a review of the GG set in the
Philips Great Pianists  of the 20th Century series (it is in the July/Aug
issue of American Record Guide) opining that the engineering on the digital
transfers of the Byrd and Gibbons tracks included in the set is far superior
to the engineering of the same tracks on the Sony issue ("A Consort of Byrd
and Gibbons"). What do you think?