Re: GG: and the Romantics

> I can only think
>of two Chopin studies (just off the top of my head) which can be seriously
>regarded as contrapuntal:- the op. 25 C sharp minor and the middle section
>of the octave study.

Another etude possibly to add would be the Op 25 #11 (A minor, "Winter
Wind") -- or, at least, Douglas Hofstadter got some analytical mileage out
of this one with his diagrams in _Goedel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden
Braid_.  (Or was it the sequel, _Metamagical Themas_?  One of those two.
Neither one is really a book about music, but both are fascinating on topics
of structure and logic.)

Brad Lehman