Hofstadter on Chopin

I'm pretty sure Hofstadter's discussion of Chopin's music is in his first book,
his collection of Scientific American columns, "Metamagical Themas" (an anagram
of his predecessor Martin Gardner's column, "Mathematical Games"). As we drifted
into Chopin, I was about to ask how many people had read Hoftstadter on Chopin.
I recall that Hofstadter is quite fascinated by the visual symmetry
transformations (i.e. eery musical sense and richness when read upside-down) in
Chopin's scores. I remember his largely mathematical analyses of Chopin (and of
Bach in GEB) as being extraordinarily fascinating, coming as they do from the
mathematical realm rather than the more accustomed realm of musical scholarship.
The whole book is a profoundly fascinating read, eventually reaching a
"crescendo" on the mathematical analysis of the politics of the global nuclear
arms race and disarmament. But none of it is dry math -- Hoftstadter always
weaves his discussions with the human dimension and the highest esthetics.

Bob Merkin