GG's Opinion

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I'm on the Hal Hartley list too
and lately people have been so increadibly unhelpful it's a joke, which makes
me think twice about joining mailing lists.
    I'm reading Mr Ostwalt's (sp?) book for the second time and have very
mixed feelings about Glenn's opinion's about different composers i.e. ; he
hated Schumann, Chopin and Schubert, liked Baroque and Modern but not
Romantic, only liked Mozart's early works etc. etc. I know that I go through
emense changes in perspective and opinions about everything, not just music,
and it's hard for me to put my own musical tastes into perspective compared
to someone I admire greatly like Glenn. It is almost like haveing a second
father and being ashamed of having my own opinion.
    I used to not even like Bach that much, because I found his music too
"logical" and too "perfect". Although I'm trying to learn to play the piano
myself so I can see the advantage of the counterpoint and the tutorial value
of learning Bach. I used to have arguments with people about this subject not
that I want to cause one here. But I can't stp thinking about what Glenn
would have to say (certainly much) about the theory that all of the
mathematical perfection in Bach's music lacks the passion and danger that
later composers had, the bravery to take chances. But I guess for his time
maybe this was what he was doing, maybe I'm just too modern to see the
"rebelious" side of Bach's music?

Morgan McDannell