From: BONG [mailto:bong@iti.lt]
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 8:19 AM
To: f_minor-og@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Why people care about GG?

>Bach and
> Mozart and Gibbons had yet-unexpressed things to say to many people, and
>Gould  saw himself as their best, perhaps their only true messenger, the
>decoder of  their musical and emotional messages.

What would Gould have to message if there were no Bach, the main, biggest
and deepest reservoir of expressed or unexpressed thoughts? Gould didn't
like Mozart, it's a fact (and his arguments are not at all relevant to state
the fact), so how could Gould be a mediator between the public and the
composer he hated? Isn't such a role completely irrational? It's obvious
Gould hasn't find enough depth in the other composers he played too, one
just can't deny that the world of feelings Bach inspired in Gould was
immense compared to that of other composers. The importance of Bach in
Gould's repertoire, life, whatever, is so big that a logical question
arises: what would have remained of that repertoire or anything if the main
component were absent? A soup without salt, a hollow nut or a miniature
model of a skyscraper...

Juozas Rimas
Lithuania