Re: Gould's 1st contrapunctus

> Incidentally, Vladimir Feltsman on MusicMasters 67173 plays this at a
> slightly slower tempo (5'04") than Gould (4'51"), but he plays it as
> half-notes and it doesn't seem as slow.

I like Feltsman's recording. His 1st contrapunctus is soft and peaceful, except
for the same moment where Gould makes (seamingly) too long pauses. Feltsman's
pauses are shorter and perfectly acceptable but he almost BANGS the keys after
the first pause (at 4:12 mark) - much louder than Gould and possibly louder than
anywhere else in his own rendition of the 1st contrapunctus (at least it sounds
like this - a sound immediately after a prolonged pause may seem louder than it
really is). Then he plays the four simultaneous notes much softer and
succesfully continues to the end.

Juozas Rimas Jr
http://mp3.com/JuozasRimas