Re: FW: Much Ado About Humming - Glenn Gould's Imaginary Orchestra

Hi List,

Just watching some of Gould videos.

Seems like the Monsaingeon ones will be the best for out study here because
Gould's voice is miked in order to pick up the discussion he's having with
Bruno.  You can here his "hums" quite clearly and much more clearly than in
the music recordings where the engineers tried to remove them.

And guess what I found out from my viewing.

So far he's hardly ever gone "hum."

What he does do, to my ears, and I'm sure the phonetic spelling must be a
bit off, is make the sounds

"Dee"

"Dah"

"Tha"

He seems to like to make the "tha" sound during fast staccato passages.

And the "dee" and "dah" for the more lyrical and slower ones.

Just some general observations from watching about 30 minutes of film.

Has Sean ever tried to categorize the exact type of vocalizations he makes,
and when he makes them, and has Sean ever noticed a pattern or speculated on
why, how they fit into the musical scheme of things?

Jim