Humming and Soviet Union

> Seems like the Monsaingeon ones will be the best for out study here because
> Gould's voice is miked in order to pick up the discussion he's having with
> Bruno.  You can here his "hums" quite clearly and much more clearly than in
> the music recordings where the engineers tried to remove them.

LOL! I thought before that no one edited the recordings because Gould wanted it
so. If there was some sound engineering work put before the release of the CDs,
Gould must have been singing really loudly in the studio! :)

By the way, it was some time ago that I heard the LP with one of the
contrapuncti from the Moscow life performance. I was only starting listening
classical music then so I don't remember which contrapunctus it was and as I
couldn't catch any tune with my ear, used to rock and rap, I probably didn't
notice the humming/singing as well. But now I think there was almost no humming
in the Moscow recordings. Is it true? Someone having the records at hand could
check this.

I'm also interested in those Soviet tours. From http://glenn.fdnet.com.au/ I can
see very few cities he performed in. Why did he choose Moscow and Leningrad? Had
sentiments about Russian/Soviet piano school? Wanted to show individualist art
in a totalitarian society? Liked the country where very much attention was paid
to musical trainining and education in general despite the indigence?

Juozas Rimas Jr
http://mp3.com/JuozasRimas