Re: Asperger's -- make it stop!

Title: Re: Asperger's -- make it stop!
At 8:36 AM -0400 5/3/01, Elmer Elevator wrote:
Compare the stature and lasting achievements of those pointing the Asperger's finger at GG with Gould's own stature and enduring achievements. Small wonder such "experts" want to drag him down to their miniscule size. They already know they're doomed to obscurity, if not oblivion. And Gould will grow in fame and admiration forever.

This is not an argument.  In fact, your entire post is devoid of any argument that GG did not have it.  You just seem insulted that someone might argue that he had any sort of deficiency; it's almost defensive.

In the field of psychology, there are many branches.  Some study the chemistry of illnesses, some do clinical work, etc..  There is a growing branch of historical psychology that looks at past figures and analyses them based on what they know from memoirs, biographies, handwriting samples, and so on.  This study is not necessarily for the benefit of furthering knowledge of psychology, but gives people insight into the minds of great figures from the past.  In fact, amongst musicians/composers, among those who have been canonized as "great" there is a phenomenal array of mental illnesses which are manifestly obvious even from the layperson's standpoint (take Mozart or Schumann as the most obvious examples).

I was surprised and disappointed that I was the only person this past November to attend the giant joint conference held in Toronto.  I was there primarily as a member of the American Musicological Society, but the Canadian Society of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres met as well.  Mr Conway mentioned the work of Timothy Maloney; well, his work has come to fruition and he presented a paper called "Glenn Gould: Eccentric or Autistic?" on 4 November at this meeting.  It was an hour and a half presentation with all of the arguments for and against it (and it was the short version, by his account).

I went to the meeting fully prepared to argue against the label of autism - indeed by modern standards it seems pejorative - but his comprehensive/meticulous attention to detail left little argument.  In clearly defining and clarifying the crucial differences between "mainstream autism" and Asperger's, the diagnosis seems increasingly accurate.  And, by taking the basic indicators from the two main forms of diagnosis and comparing them to the historical evidence we have from the many biographies (including Ostwald's, with which he has many problems), he cites countless (and I mean that) examples of how GG fits into just about every criterion.

Before anyone criticizes the possibility that GG did in fact have a mild Asperger autism, I suggest you educate yourselves to exactly what it is.  One of the criteria is NOT "capuccino (sic) obsession" and such sarcastic comments only hampers the promotion of understanding.