Asperger's

Title: Asperger's
At 11:40 AM -0400 5/3/01, Elmer Elevator wrote:
Asperger's all by itself is as dubious and evasive an ailment as I've ever run across.

Is that right?  And I suppose you support this opinion with some sort of medical or scientific data.  I would love to read it.

As it turns out, the existence of Asperger's is supported by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, which is an official list made by the American Psychiatric Association.  This is not to say that the manual or the association has been or is free from controversy, but this is a start.

A cursory search of "PubMed," an accredited database for researching medical articles, reveals 336 hits on the search topic Asperger, the most recent written on 22 April.  Evidently, people who are obviously more informed than (I imagine) most of us on this list seem to believe it exist and are treating at such.  One article that might be of interest to this list is:

"Is asperger syndrome/high-functioning autism necessarily a disability?" by Baron-Cohen S. found in "Dev Psychopathol 2000 Summer;12(3):489-500."

The reason I bring this article up is because (as it seems from the abstract) it seems to demonstrate to those who don't already know that Asperger Syndrome is a very livable condition.  Indeed, it is likened unto "mild autism."  As Mr Maloney was quick to point out at the beginning of his paper, people with Asperger Syndrome often are leaders in their field, albeit a bit strange socially.  And, I don't doubt, like many conditions, there are ranges of severity.  However, in terms of diagnosis, based on the "composite list of diagnostic criteria," GG hits on the mark for Asperger's on almost every bullet point.

Incidentally, from the abstracts in PubMed, only one article in the first hundred fifty most recently published (through September of 1996) challenged any neuropsychological basis for Asperger Disorder, but this was when comparing to but only as compared to High Functioning Autism, not "normative" mental conditions [whatever that might mean!].  Others noted specific physical, neurological, and social tendencies amongst those who were diagnosed.  Indeed, I don't doubt that there are people not unlike Mr Elevator who doubt the existence of this disorder, but they are yet to publish anything which would help refute it in the past 5 years.  I kindly invite Mr Elevator would be kind enough to stop being insulted and provide the list with some evidence (a book, article, something), rather than opinion.