GG: a harpsichord question

(I sent this on Monday but the server never delivered it...)

Ronnie, the effect you are hearing at that point in the music is: Gould is
adding another set of strings ("16-foot", playing an octave lower than
written). He is still playing the same keys as before. As Antonio pointed
out, this engagement of more strings is done mechanically either by moving
a lever near the keyboard or by kicking a pedal. In some harpsichords it
can also be done by sliding the keyboard.

I described Gould's harpsichord as part of an extensive discussion here
last year in July: see
http://www.glenngould.org/mail/archives/f_minor/msg05507.html and
http://www.glenngould.org/mail/archives/f_minor/mail6.html in the
archives. For a musician of Gould's popularity and artistic stature I
think it's sad that (1) he used one of the worst harpsichords available
(bad tone), and (2) he didn't practice on it (or take any harpsichord
lessons) to adapt his piano technique to the harpsichord's expression....

The Wittmayer harpsichord that Gould played was not in any historical
national style. It was just a general 20th century harpsichord designed
for people who do not specialize in playing harpsichord! (Gould's
technique did, in a way, suit that type of instrument.) It belonged to a
friend of his who was a church organist.

Antonio, you are correct on all your comments about registers, except the
German/French distinction. "German" and "French" (and "Flemish" and
"Italian" and "English"...) in style of harpsichords refers to the body
shape, the soundboard construction, the types of strings, the points where
the strings are plucked, and many other parts of the design: in short,
these differences all affect the type of tone produced. It has nothing to
do with the registers being engaged by hand levers vs pedals. I have a web
page at http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/hpsi.html or
http://i.am/harpsichord where you can compare the tone of different styles
of harpsichords.

A good survey of the different types of harpsichords is in the _New Grove
Dictionary of Music and Musicians_, the article "Harpsichord." This is
also reprinted in a separate book, _Early Keyboard Instruments_, as part
of the Grove Musical Instruments Series.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot