GG 55/81 Goldbergs again

At 11:30 PM 5/4/01 +0200, Juozas Rimas wrote:
>A quote from a recent mesage:
>
>"I  agree totally  with  prof. Poli  of  Milan  who  rates  the  Gould's
>Bagatelles  as  equal  to  the  1981  Goldberg  recording  "
>
>Is it the common opinion that 1981 goldbergs are better than 1955?

No; it all depends what the listener is looking for.  Many people prefer
1955; many others prefer 1981; some of us prefer 1959.  (Does anyone
prefer 1954?)  The listener's expectations determine what "better" means.
Sound?  Tempos?  Detail?  Overall shape?  Tone?  Insightfulness?
Naturalness?  Spirit?  Faithfulness to the score?  Intensity?  ...  All
the recordings are different.

Check the f_minor archives: over the past several years there have been
several LONG discussions about which set of the Gould Goldbergs is
"best"....

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot