Asperger's, again.

Title: Asperger's, again.
At 9:37 AM -0400 5/4/01, Elmer Elevator wrote:
My only defense is that I sincerely believe this whole thing is junk science nonsense; GG's posthumous diagnosis is patently unsupported and ridiculous; and I don't think the issue ought to be allowed to rest based on the volume of ink one champion has the capacity to devote to it.

Conspicuously absent from your discussion is specifically WHY you think that the diagnosis is unsupported, as well as why you think that Asperger's doesn't exist.  I await a coherent argument which states what precisely is problematic about either the condition or the diagnosis.

What I DO hear is the argument that because twenty years ago the American Psychiatric Association (APA) though tattoos were a sign of mental illness (which is a gross exaggeration and misrepresentation of what the issue was) that now, twenty years later we are suffering from the same backwards thinking.  Indeed, lobotomy was a "cure" and homosexuality was an "illness" in the APA's texts, but a lot of that had to do with the strength of the social biases which existed (and exist) towards the mentally ill and homosexuals.

In fact, Mr Elevator, you use the same sort of language in your discussion of Ritalin and Prozac.  Indeed, you and I agree that the use of these drugs is wholly and wildly out of control.  Where we disagree is on degree; I think that (e.g.) ADHD is a valid condition, but is over diagnosed, and as a result Ritalin is over prescribed.  People want a cure-all.  This does not, however, negate the positive effects that Ritalin has had on very clear-cut cases, and not only can this be supported by 15+ years of study, but I have seen the benefits in colleagues, friends and relatives before and after treatment, the same people who were skeptical before treatment.  Placebo effect?  Not this dramatic and not for this long.  And, to boot, your comment that Ritalin is "wholly unsupported by clinical study" is categorically false.  But perhaps you don't believe those studies either.

For years, people thought the sun went around the earth.  Does this negate all that astronomy has accomplished?  Of course not.  Lamarck thought that evolution took place in a manner completely inconsistent with observation, but this theory was embraced by the scientific community for years.  Does this indeed embarrassing moment in biology discount the whole of biological discovery?  Of course not.  Why must any rational person say, "Because psychiatry had problems in its past (and indeed, many were ghastly) that today we must question the existence of any disorder."

Let's use shock therapy as a good example:  Today, as it has for decades, it remains a hotly debated topic.  Some studies say, "We have found miraculous benefits," while others say, "Shock therapy causes irreparable harm."  In a circumstance like this, I can understand a layperson being on the fence.  Professionals who spend their days and nights studying and examining these issues are on the fence.

However, there is no such fence for Asperger's.  I don't doubt that there are people as passionate as Mr Elevator saying "I don't think it exists" in the field of psychology.  Why aren't they publishing?  Why aren't there websites?  Why are they silent?  Because their argument is at best circular and at worst incoherent:  I don't think it exists because I don't think it exists.  No one should be persuaded by this, no matter how passionate and repetitive it becomes.