Re: Gould's heart in Baroque period?? oder ASCH?

Brad wrote,

> Can we amend that to Gould's heart being at the feet of Arnold Schoenberg?

Sure, why not.

By the way, I know I've said this before on the list, but I'm so tickeled
with it, I hope you'll bear me repeating it.

My first encounter with Gould *was* his Schoenberg, not his Bach, Beethoven,
or Mozart.  (Imagine if Enoch Arden was your first encounter!)  The very
first Gould CD I bought was the double Schoenberg set.  How I wish I could
tell Gould that.  I think it would make him happy.

And let's not forget he did a radio show on Schoenberg as well.  Was anyone
recording those works when Gould made his records?  Anyone put out a
complete solo Schoenberg set before Gould?  Was Gould the first?

> That's just to say: Gould was not a Baroque fan.

I agree.

Nice post, Brad.

Now let's all go out there and listen to some Schoenberg.

My recommendations, take them for what their worth, coming from a man who
can't even read music, and doesn't really have a large Schoenberg
collection, though has been impressed with what follows.

String Quartets: New Vienna Quartet on Phillips.  (the only versions I have)

Solo Piano Music: Peter Hill on Naxos.  Nice liner notes as well.  This cd
can be heard at

http://web02.hnh.com/scripts/newreleases/naxos_cat.asp?item_code=8.553870

Cello Concerto: Yo Yo Ma and the Boston Symphony Orchestra on CBS, coupled
with some Strauss.

Choral Music:  BBC Singers conducted by Boulez  for Sony.  Rush out and
cherish this CD of strangerly beautiful and sometimes "romantic" recording
of atonal music.  This is one of my personal favorite sets.

Verklarte Nacht: Karajan on DG, along with the Variations for Orchestra, a
very rich recording.  Not really Gouldian, though I find it lyrical and
powerful.  One review I read calls these recordings "redolent" and I agree.
Anyone know of a more analytical recording that they enjoy?

Chamber Symphony One (along with Pierrot Lunaire) Ensemble Modern conducted
by Peter Eotvos. (this may be out of print.

Anyone ever heard Schoenberg's re-working of a Handel Concerto.  Wonder what
Gould felt about that re-composition? I've never heard it, though this
discussion has certainly put it on my "to-buy" list.

Jim