GG: more Schoenberg

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Jim Morrison wrote:

> Verklarte Nacht: Karajan on DG, along with the Variations for Orchestra, a
> very rich recording.  Not really Gouldian, though I find it lyrical and
> powerful.  One review I read calls these recordings "redolent" and I agree.
> Anyone know of a more analytical recording that they enjoy?

Hollywood String Quartet with two added players, Testament 1031.  Wow.
They played it for him AT HIS HOUSE, looking for interpretive suggestions,
and all he said at the end was, "It was good, very good...in fact, I have
nothing to say."  Then they made the recording and he wrote the liner
notes for them.  Wow.

Schoenberg Ensemble, Philips 416306.  Wow.  (And it's -- hold onto your
hat -- players better known for Baroque music, but here on modern
instruments: Sigiswald Kuijken, Janneke van der Meer, Richte van der Meer,
usw.)  Really committed.  And this disc also has the string trio, which
has my vote for the best piece ever composed after a composer's medical
death and resuscitation.

> Chamber Symphony One (along with Pierrot Lunaire) Ensemble Modern conducted
> by Peter Eotvos. (this may be out of print.

Schoenberg-Ensemble (again) on Koch 311009.  And the classic recording by
Horenstein, despite the dim sound and some sloppiness.

I also like that Hill disc (Naxos) you mentioned for the piano music...but
after Gould and Steuermann.  :)  Paul Jacobs was good at this repertoire,
too.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot