Re: Gould's heart in Baroque period?? oder ASCH?

hi List,

Brad wrote in yesterday

> Edward Steuermann's LP (Columbia
> ML 5216) from the early 1950's, soon after Schoenberg's death.  It's very
> well done, as is Gould's.  Same five items: Op 11, 19, 23, 25, and 33a/b.

It turns out that Steuermann gave the premiere of Schoenberg's Piano
Concerto under the direction of, get this, Stokowski!  Funny, I don't recall
Gould mentioning that fact.

Another odd Schoenberg fact, one I read last night and it's almost hard to
swallow.  Brendel has recorded the Piano Concerto three times.  Two early in
his career and one later.  This man certainly likes to rethink in public.

Anybody know if Gould was the first to record so many of the Schoenberg
songs?  Or, if not that, has any other pianist committed so much Schoenberg
piano music to disc?

By the way, Gould's diving into Schoenberg came soon after he gave up
concerts, and reducing the amount of Bach he was recording.

Jim