GG: scan of limited edition 1955 GV/Strauss

Here's a scan of the booklet and CD, the limited edition issue of the 1955
Goldberg Variations and the Strauss Sonata.  According to the notes, it
was prepared as a door prize for all guests of a dinner.  (I wasn't there
but got this from somebody on eBay.)

As I mentioned here last week, the 1955 GV sound slightly different here
as compared with the standard commercial issues, old and new.  Just a bit
of difference in tone, that's about it.  Nothing earth-shattering.

The most interesting thing here IMO is the set of booklet notes, including
Carter's recollections of Gould's first reactions to digital sound.  I had
forgotten about these comments until prompted this morning to re-read
them.  According to Carter (and as I suspected, and wondered aloud here),
Gould never heard CDs.

http://www.vaix.net/~bpl/gg-gv-strauss.htm

Happy 70th, GG.

(I can't promise that this web page will be available indefinitely;
someone want to volunteer to host these images elsewhere?)

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot