Glenn Gould celebrations

As one of those Goudians here in Australia I am very disappointed with the lack of response through our national braodcaster failing to  celebrate the extraordinary genius of Glenn Gould, the man, his music and his humanity. Our venerable Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) programmers have seen to it that we have not shared in the celebration of a thinking musical philosopher, one whose insights have been with me since a young age as my own musical thoughts developed.

From this distance I regret that Australia has elected to portray itself as culturally brain-dead on matters pertaining to the life and music of Glenn Gould, and with the exception of fellow Australian Goundians, the celebration here in Western Australia is a deeply felt and solitary affair.

For all that, while there are people alive to appreciate what he bequeathed the world, each of us in our own way will keep alive and continue to celebrate the life and creativity of a wonderful human whom we know as Glenn Gould

Warren Davis

Western Australia

warren.davis@optusnet.com.au