GG & Perahia

I can't compare theGG and Perahia recordings of the Goldbergs.  When the Perahia recording was released I already had two recordings of the Goldbergs by GG (now I have four).  I did consider buying the Perahia recording but was influenced by the review in "BBC Music Magazine" that rated the GG recording above the one by Perahia. The review was interesting.

I did purchase the recently released "Murray Perahia Bach Keyboard Concertos Nos. 3,5,6,7 with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields". I have enjoyed it very much, it is high spirited and IMHO a great recording.

Then some of you started your comparisons so I got out my GG recording of the Bach Concerto for piano and orchestra No. 5. and played the GG and Perahia one right after the other.  What a difference there is in the piano.  Perahia just doesn't show the same enthusiasm for the piano in this recording that GG does in his.  GG sounds more "up front".  Perahia almost sounds like he is in the background. It seems to me that Perahia is putting more enthusiasm into his conducting.  Like I said, it is very enjoyable.

GG put so much of himself into the recording process that sometimes I think that is what has helped to make him sound so terrific.  I don't need to explain how some of it gets to my emotions.

In all fairness to Perahia it would probably be best to listen to some of his memorable recordings.  Ted Libby in his book, "The NPR Guide to Building A Classical CD Collection" lists the following by Perahia:
Beethoven Concertos Nos. 1,2, & 5.  Greig Piano Concerto A Minor.  Shuman. Schubert. Mozart Concertos 22,23,27. I haven't heard them yet but will probably venture there.

Retired Accountant,

--- Fred Stubbings
--- velfred@earthlink.net