There is no such thing as bad press -- Bela Lugosi

Salut Jean-Christophe, ça va?

And don't forget what Glenn Gould said about Mozart! That he was a lousy composer! That the tragedy of Mozart isn't that he died too young, but that he died too old!

I'd already become obsessed with Gould's (white dove LP) Mozart for ten years before I read that he said he disliked Mozart. It frightened me! If I had dared to say, "Mozart is a lousy composer," I would have expected a lightning bolt to incinerate me promptly!

My professional background is as a journalist, and I've found it very interesting to consider Gould from the standpoint of Glenn Gould, Master Media Manipulator.

The basic and very simple problem every public figure faces is how to attract the media and how to make it generate metric tonnes of ink and gazillions of colorful and loud electrons featuring the public figure's face and name on it.

This is a pretty easy problem to solve for serial murderers, cannibals, and scantily-clad young MTV artists and movie stars.

It is a nearly impossible problem for classical pianists. To the general media -- newspapers, magazines, CNN -- a classical pianist is the most boring creature on Earth. In Hollywood, there's a phrase about such people: They complain that they can't even get arrested.

Last night I watched a wonderful movie, "Ed Wood," about the man who was once, very deservedly, voted The Worst Movie Director Who Ever Lived. Wood became friends with Bela Lugosi in the last few years of Lugosi's troubled life. In one scene, Wood goes to visit Lugosi in the hospital that's treating him for morphine addiction. Lugosi's room is filled with the sleaziest kind of papparrazi, sensationalist tabloid reporters and photographers. Wood is horrified and chases them away. "Don't you understand?" he tells the aging, sick, forgotten movie star. "They'll ruin you! They'll print terrible things about you!"

Lugosi smiles broadly. He'd called the papparazzi himself, and was thrilled that they'd come and were now going to violate his privacy with distorted, false, sensational stories and ugly photos.

Lugosi explains: "Kid -- there is no such thing as bad press."

For public performers and artists, that's pretty much true. The world is so easily bored. Wynona Ryder is about to go on trial in Los Angeles on charges she was trying to shoplift $5000 worth of clothes from a department store. I would look on such circumstances as the total destruction of my life and reputation, and would probably gas myself in the garage. When the trial is all over, Wynona Ryder will be considerably more famous than before the arrest. If she's found guilty and has to spend three months in a woman's jail, she will be five times more world-famous than if she were found innocent. People who never heard of her before will flock to see her next movie. (Ms. Ryder needs to resort to desperate measures to attract the media, as she is now a very old female movie star -- 29.)

And yet out of the world's entire pack of classical pianists, Glenn Gould managed to attract and hold the media's attention and fascination for his entire life.

This was no accident. And I suspect he did it without much help from professional publicists. He did it entirely by instinct. And because he wanted and thrived on all the publicity; certainly his career and album sales thrived on it. Does anyone have the Raw Sales Numbers comparing Gould's lifetime album sales with those of his contemporary classical pianists? Who outsold him? Maybe Horowitz, maybe Rubinstein? But by Y2K, which classical pianist of the 20th century had outsold Gould? Mere death has not cooled the media's and the public's fascination with Gould.

Anyone who argues that Gould's sales are entirely a function of his wonderful piano playing, and have nothing to do with his savvy manipulation of the media and publicity ... well, argue away! But I and every other journalist will be giggling behind your back.

Gould instinctively knew how to make controversy work for him. I don't think we'll ever have the slightest accurate knowledge of his "true feelings" about Bach, Byrd, Mozart, Gibbons. He told interviewers whatever whimsically leapt into his brain that instant, perfectly sensing the things that were interesting and exciting to the interviewer.

These subtle Gould-interviewer interplays are wonderfully joked about in "32 Short Films" -- he played music interviewers and journalists like a violin. Look at the boy freezing to death in an outdoor Toronto phone booth for the privilege of a few words from The Mysterious Musical Master. Someone less savvy than Gould would have assumed that, to generate favorable publicity, you must make the journalist warm and comfortable in a fancy hotel suite, with drinks, coffee and free lunch. Gould knew how to get hectares of ink by making journalists crawl through broken glass, and when it was over, the journalist would be grateful and feel something wonderful had just happened!

If there's a lesson to be learned from Gould's example: If you want to be world-famous, become a hermit, be reclusive, be nearly impossible to find, impossible to contact, impossible to talk to. He didn't invent this school of modern publicity -- Howard Hughes, Greta Garbo, Marlon Brando and Thomas Pynchon were/are past masters of it.

And say astonishing, shocking, totally unexpected things. Give the interviewer juicy, colorful quotes. Do you expect to be splashed all over the front page if you say, "Bach was a wonderful composer. His compositions have always moved me deeply since I was a child."? You can expect a comatose and extremely unenthused interviewer, and an even more comatose editor -- the person who decides where or if the story should run.

People are so terribly bored. Gould always knew how to give them Something Different, Something Surprising, Something Shocking, Something Wildly Controversial, Something Totally Unexpected. And he did it so well because you could tell it wasn't forced -- he enjoyed manipulating the media, making the media dance to his tune. He wears a special smile in those moments when he realizes the interviewer has become putty in his hands.

He was also a pretty good piano player, if you ask me.

Elmer