New 1957 Gould performance - update

Title: Message
Hello folks.

I just wanted to give you an update on the above-mentioned performance that played on CBC back on October 4th. First of all, let me give my heartfelt thanks to Mary Jo for this "hot tip". Keep up the good work!!! (I nominated your for the Nobel peace prize, but I'm still waiting for the nomination committee to return my voicemail).

This was a complete performance of the 2nd and 3rd movements of the Bach keyboard concerto #5 (in F minor!!!), originally airing on October 22, 1957. This timing is especially important, as it comes 6 months after Gould's triumphant tour of Russia and first performance with Herbert von Karajan, yet 6 months before Gould recorded this concerto with Vladimir Golschmann in the Columbia studios. In other words, Gould is at his absolute finest - confident, assured, yet still youthfully idealistic.

The timings of the movements are 3:24 for the 2nd mvmt, and 4:09 for the 3rd mvmt, a full 16% and 10% slower (respectively) than the studio version from 1958. The playing is wonderful, smooth and luxurious and the audio quality is EXCELLENT. The video is black and white, but of high quality and well preserved.

Note that there is an online version of PART of this performance at the URL I gave earlier (and here it is again):

http://archives.radio-canada.ca//500f.asp?IDDos=309&IDLan=0&IDCli=1629&TD=Variations+Glenn+Gould&TC=Concerto+en+r%E9+mineur+de+Bach

but the quality of the audio and video online is awful compared to the real thing.

Anyway, this was a real gem, and a fantastic treat to see on the anniversary of GG's death. If anyone has any clout with the CBC, please twist their arms into releasing more of this stuff!!! I love the fact that 50 years after his performances, we are still unearthing valuable treasures. Thank you, Mary Jo!

Best regards,
Matthew