GG: How did you first learn of Glenn Gould?

Several questions this time.

When did you first hear *of* (or read about) Glenn Gould?

If it wasn't the same time you heard Glenn Gould, when did you first hear
his music?

What was your first reaction?

Here are my answers.
-- I first remember reading about Glenn Gould in (cough, cough) Thomas
Harris's "The Silence of the Lambs." Well, that certainly piqued by
curiosity. Shortly after that, I went in a record store and saw tapes from
the Glenn Gould Collection. I thought, "Wow, this guy's on video!!!" A few
years later, I heard about "32 Short Films..." and knew I was going to have
to see that.

-- I first heard Glenn Gould shortly after that because the store that
carried the videotapes also carried the Goldbergs (debut recording) in
Columbia's tan and black edition. The audio cassette was only $4.99!

-- Well, of course I liked it. :-> Even though my tastes at the time ran
more to (ahem) Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantasique." Glenn Gould was a pleasant
change. Eventually, I bought the 1982 Goldbergs -- this time, I even sprang
for the CD. Then, for a while, I rarely bought any new CDs. And I rarely
listened to the ones I had. I don't know what was wrong with me?! (Uhm,
utter boredom?)

Luckily, I discovered the local Planet Music (now gone, sniff!) -- and with
a decent selection of music, I could actually find things I liked. (Such as
"The Usual Suspects" soundtrack.) Shortly after that, I also saw "32 Short
Films..." *And* Planet Music had a discount on the soundtrack. After that,
I was lost. The next step was getting a set of GG playing Beethoven, and
then, more Bach. And more Bach. And even more Bach. Then some Brahms. (Why
didn't they use his Brahms in the movie?!)

------
Anne M. Marble